[Seaside] VM stability on UNIX

Dmitry Dorofeev dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com
Mon Oct 24 13:08:05 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have 4 squeak VM running on the same UNIX (OpenBSD) server.
All running separate and different Seaside apps in a test mode (yet).

First trick is to start squeak in a 'safe' way. I.e. you must use
squeak -nodisplay -nosound -memory 64m your.image

If you dont limit memory usage, it may eat 100% of CPU and stop responding.
Which is known UNIX VM bug as I get from the lists. Its related to memory usage
over 1Gb.

Another problem which I have no solution for is one my squeak process eats
about 90% of CPU time to time. If I wait enough (several hours) it may go normal.
It prints to STDOUT millions of messages:

select: Invalid argument

It is the only app which uses MySQL. But I close MySQL connection after SQL request done.
So unsure if it is related to the problem. Also it is app which sends emails with:

SMTPClient
	deliverMailFrom: m fromEmail
	to: (Array with: e)
	text: data
	usingServer: 'localhost'.

All squeaks run RFB (VNC) on a separte ports.

Squeak version i use:
# squeak -version
3.7-7 #2 Sat Sep  3 17:14:42 BST 2005 gcc 3.3.5
Squeak3.7 of '4 September 2004' [latest update: #5989]
OpenBSD emily.flightstore.co.uk 3.7 EMILY#5 i386

Does anyone have similar problem with message 'select: Invalid argument'
or have any clue ?

Thanks,
-Dmitry Dorofeev.