[Seaside] #call: #show: #home

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Tue Oct 11 13:37:02 UTC 2005

Well, mostly it isn't done by default because there are patterns you
might use where you don't need it.  Using #parent breaks encapsulation
by requiring that the child be aware of where it is placed, which is
something I generally avoid to make my components more reusable.

Look at what the component needs the parent for...

Perhaps it needs something to #call: on to pop up alerts... so add an
#alertTarget: method to properly configure it.  Perhaps it's finding out
what component is the "content frame" so the main part of an application
can be replaced without losing the menu.  You could have the child
determine where this is, but seems wrong.  I usually have a method on my
session called something like #fromContentPaneCall:  In *general*, it's
going to be better to have the child configured with the correct targets
rather than allowing it to determine them.

Now maybe sometimes using #parent is the right way to go (and it's
certainly not hard to add "child parent: self" if you think it is) but I
can't remember the last time I've needed it.

Julian

   Julian Fitzell  --  Beta4 Productions
julian at beta4.com  --  http://www.beta4.com
Seaside: http://seaside.st/