[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Wed Sep 7 02:00:04 CEST 2005

Chad,

Chad Nantais wrote:
> Thank you Günther.
>
> Does this MySQL driver work stricly for relational storage, or does it
> also do object-persistance in the db?
>
> Chad

The MySQL driver does not know anything about 'objects', you can do
plain SQL with it, that's all. It's not a framework or an OO to RDMS bridge.

MySQL itself also knows nothing about objects, it's a plain relational
database.
I understand Postgres advertises as an OO database, or a RDBMS to OODBMS
bridge, I can't really say if that makes it more useful in connection
with Smalltalk.

Then there is GLORP, originially developed for VW. It's a persistency
framework or OO to RDBMS bridge.
Last time I checked it was still under development, and as I understand
it, not yet production ready.
GLORP, AFAIK, only works with Postgres as a backend, at least for the
moment.

So far I don't know of any solutions that make dealing with persistency
a breeze to work with, it's still a major unsolved issue.

The easiest way, and actually the most practical one by far for most
needs, is to use the image itself for persistency, keep storing it,
snapshots, on an interval basis.

Good luck!

Günther