[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 7 12:50:50 CEST 2005

Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther_Schmidt?= <gue.schmidt at web.de> wrote:
> Göran,
>
> just out of curiosity:
>
> > Or you can use ImageSegments like SqueakMap does. There is a page
> > somewhere on the Swiki with a howto from me on that. The advantage is of
> > course that you only save/load the objects you want - and not the whole
> > image.
> >
> > Or you can go for a more serious solution and use Magma or another OODB
> > like Omnibase or GOODS.
> >
> > regards, Göran
>
> Do you have any practical experience with either of those?
> Do they really work? In particular ImageSegments?.

Eh, yes - as I said - SqueakMap (which I wrote) uses them. And so does
your image when you "load updates from the net" in the package loader -
it actually sucks down a gzipped ImageSegment and then loads it into the
image to replace the current instance of SMSqueakMap you have.

Why do you ask btw? Any bad experience?

And of course "Projects" also uses ImageSegment as the basis for
persistence - so it sure works. :)

I have only played with Magma, but I think it has matured enough to use
(even though I can't say anything about criticial use). GOODS is quite
proven and Avi has used it quite a bit I understand - and of course
other communities outside of Squeak (it is language neutral).

Omnibase has also been used in several Squeak projects with great
success AFAIK.

regards, Göran