[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Wed Sep 7 13:03:18 CEST 2005

Göran,

> Eh, yes - as I said - SqueakMap (which I wrote) uses them. And so does
> your image when you "load updates from the net" in the package loader -
> it actually sucks down a gzipped ImageSegment and then loads it into the
> image to replace the current instance of SMSqueakMap you have.
>
> Why do you ask btw? Any bad experience?

Sort of, persistence is a fundamental problem for any type of
programming one does.

So a while back I checked all sorts of propagated *solutions* and found
none of them to be *ideal*.

> And of course "Projects" also uses ImageSegment as the basis for
> persistence - so it sure works. :)

That is very good news, I'll check into it more thoroughly then.

The problem with that is that I still haven't made up my mind entirely
which Smalltalk to use in the long run. Frequently switching between
Dolphin, VW and Squeak.

> I have only played with Magma, but I think it has matured enough to use
> (even though I can't say anything about criticial use). GOODS is quite
> proven and Avi has used it quite a bit I understand - and of course
> other communities outside of Squeak (it is language neutral).
>
> Omnibase has also been used in several Squeak projects with great
> success AFAIK.
>
> regards, Göran

regards,

Günther

PS
Is it now possible to "unload" Squeak packages, projects or whatever?