[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

Dmitry Dorofeev dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com
Wed Sep 7 15:10:14 CEST 2005

David Shaffer wrote:
> Günther Schmidt wrote:
>
> Yes, none of them are ideal.  Nothing to do with Squeak or Smalltalk
> though.  Persistence sucks.  One problem with file-based solutions in
> Squeak, though, is that squeak file I/O is blocking (at least under
> Linux).  That is, the whole VM blocks while file I/O is performed.  This
> can make your application unresponsive while writing out large image
> files.

Is it the same for socket I/O ?
I am concerned about image and video uploads in Seaside.
Videos may be quite heavy. But even image from a camera 1400x1200 pixels
may freeze the image if socket I/O blocked. In any case I see that i need
to save images/videos on disk in a separate OS process. Hmm, could you hint
me where to look for a code snippet?

Thanks,
-Dmitry.