[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Sep 7 21:41:03 CEST 2005

Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:

> Yes, but once picture/video is in the image i need to save it onto disk.
> with 20Mb video it may be a freeze due to disk I/O blocking.

Yes.  Squeak makes a a fairly slow and bursty file server (I have
benchmarks to prove it).  We have several options to fix the problem
(below) and many of us use apache as a workaround.  Here's what we can
do to make things better:

    - use the AsyncFile plugin -- we could write a "ModAsyncFile" which
uses AsyncFile
    - use OSProcesses AIOPlugin -- again we would need to build a
modified ModFile and probably ModDir
    - fix the VM so that file I/O doesn't block and then deal with parts
of the image that might expect it to (image or changes saving, for example?)

I am almost done with the first as proof of concept that the third one
is worth the effort.  Once I have it working I'll post it and benchmarks
to the list.  It is more complicated than I originally thought, though,
since there are many places where Kom blocks (ModDir checks for file
existance == block and probably others I haven't found).  Still, it
should produce some improvement.  I wouldn't serve large files from
Squeak.  Use an apache front end...I do this for all of my
applications.  If you are uploading things using Seaside, upload them
into a dir where apache can see them.

David