[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Sep 8 01:13:26 CEST 2005

Rodriguez,

I'm sure your application will have some instance of OrderedCollection
to which you hold onto by some name.

Into that instance of OrderedCollection you add, or remove, your data -
business object, this is the place where you keep your objects. (Of
course that would not be so if your data was hierarchal, like a tree,
where you have one *root* object).

Whenever you save the image, your whole application, code AND data, the
whole state of it, will be serialized and saved into the image *file*.

Whenever you start squeak again, which is basically telling the VM which
image file to fire up, the previous state will be recreated, just as you
left it.

If you let me know your current problem I'll be happy to come up with
some suggestions how to get started.

Are you familiar with reading smalltalk text book code examples?

> Ok, I get it.
>
> But how do you keep your object instances inside the image, in a
> global variable?
>
> Let me ask this again, is there a recommended way of doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Victor Rodriguez.

Günther