[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Sep 8 02:51:17 CEST 2005

Avi,

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:56 PM, Günther Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Goran,
>>
>> sorry, but I think that's bad practice.
>>
>> I suggest to use singletons that act as brokers instead.
>

> What Göran was describing - having a class with a Default class var -
> sounds exactly like a singleton to me.  Is there some other pattern  you
> prefer?
>
> Avi

the class variable should hold the one single instance of the class, and
not anything else.

The instance is the one that holds on to a list of objects of interest
(plus methods for adding and removing). I understood Göran's proposal to
use the class not for creating instances at all, but use it only to
provide slots for various data.

Günther

I also believe that Göran would have used the term Singleton explicitly,
if that was what he meant. ;-)