[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 8 04:28:07 CEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 05:10:14PM +0400, Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:
> I am concerned about image and video uploads in Seaside.
> Videos may be quite heavy. But even image from a camera 1400x1200 pixels
> may freeze the image if socket I/O blocked. In any case I see that i need
> to save images/videos on disk in a separate OS process. Hmm, could you hint
> me where to look for a code snippet?

As David Shaffer mentioned, the UnixProcess>>saveImageInBackground method
in OSProcess (on SqueakMap) is an example of doing some work in a background
OS process. You could use the same approach for writing video images in
a background OS process. The basic idiom is:

  OSProcess thisOSProcess forkHeadlessSqueakAndDoThenQuit: ["do something in background"]

For example, hello world in a background Squeak OS process is:

  OSProcess thisOSProcess forkHeadlessSqueakAndDoThenQuit:
    [OSProcess thisOSProcess stdOut nextPutAll: 'hello world!', String lf]

The background Squeak OS process will have little or no effect on the
Squeak image that created it, even if it does a lot of work and runs for
a long time.

Dave