[Seaside] Re: Seaside & Ruby Rails Compared

Sean Malloy smalloy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 07:34:31 CEST 2005

I thought I'd just butt on in and give my two cents on the Rails vs
Seaside argument.

IMHO, there is no argument. They attempt to solve two very different problems;

Rails doesn't handle complex state. If you want to do that you have to
start ajaxifying everything, and using the browser as a state
management tool. Let me rephrase that. I'm sure Rails can handle lots
of complex state, but its going to be up to you, the programmer, to
implement the persistance and management of aid state. Rails apps?
Think Blog Software, dump data display software.

Seaside, as far as I can tell was _never_ intended to solve the basic
CRUD style of development (Avi?). It was intended to assist a
developer whose tasked with creating a complex web application which
can easily build wizard like, multi-step apps where complex processes
need to be captured, and still let you focus on the actual problem
being addressed, and _not_ worry about state. Seaside apps? Think
Airline Booking System.

If you were building a "todo list" in Seaside, I would wonder why. I
mean, its sort of like driving a Ferrari to the corner store.

I'm sure I've offended someone!