[Seaside] [ANN] Squeak Foundation

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sat Sep 10 14:56:15 CEST 2005

Hi all

Since a year, we (marcus and me and some others) have been playing
with the
idea that Squeak deserves a foundation and after several tries, we
decided to doit!

Have a look at: http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/squeakfoundation

Now we are nearly ready for the prime time. We hope that you will like
it and support it. Read the actions: http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/
squeakfoundation/actions/ and the goals and principles: http://
smallwiki.unibe.ch/squeakfoundation/foundationgoalsandprinciples/.

In a nutshell we want to make sure that we get an organization that
pushes the visibility of Squeak
and that enables Squeak to be a platform of development for all kinds
of applications (educations,
multimedia, web developments, research), but also support the
production of books, videos...
We want to make sure that Squeak continues to be maintained even if
we stop. We want to be able to
pay a cleaner a day a week to support the harvesting and bug fixing.
Squeak needs to have more users and
companies selling products with it, because the more we will be the
more we will be to fix and enhance
the system.

Now this is not a private club,  if you want to REALLY help, you are
more then welcome,  we have a lot to do
CD, DVD, merchandising, website, projects... But pay attention that
we are looking for people not only talking :).

Now if you like the idea but you do not have the time but trust us
for all the good job we did over the years
then support the foundation, read the http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/
squeakfoundation/supporters/ page.

To speed up the bootstrap we asked ESUG to host it and also to
sponsor it. They accepted
and gave us some money to start (2000 Euros) and noury the ESUG
treasurer accepted to
have separate accounts and deal with the money issue.

Stef, marcus, noury, and few others...