[Seaside] push-model of interactive web pages

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Tue Apr 11 22:38:43 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a next step it would be interesting to see if
> the same could be done using XMLHttpRequest, meaning more JavaScript
> to write but having the browser(s) behave nicely ...

I like the approach of using XMLHttpRequest but having it complete
after a period of time. So have the request go for 1 minute and after
that the connection is closed and the browser fires off another
XMLHttpRequest. This works around proxies that have short timeouts and
close iframe connections after a certain period of time.

The downside of both approaches though is the fact that some browsers
limit the number of open connections. I believe this is mandated in
the HTTP/1.1 specification? This means that if you have a long lived
'comet' connection then it may affect other xmlhttprequests going on
if you go past that connection limit. I don't know if this is actually
a problem in 'real world' apps though.

Nice demo by the way!

Chris.