[Seaside] Newbie question

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 11:03:06 UTC 2006

Hi Mark,

> I'am familiar with web application's in HTML, XML, PHP, PERL (CGI) and
> Javascript.

unfortunately this doesn't help much, Seaside is different. Better
forget all you know about PHP, PERL and CGI. Seaside is completely
different ;-)

> I searched the mail archiv with google but I don't have a clue what to
> do to comprehend the tutorial.

Which tutorial?

> I have access over FTP. Where is the location to put a file into it to
> start from scratch to have a "Hello World" like in the tutorial under my
> domain lug-bremen.seasidehostig.st ?

Does the web-application run on YOUR machine?

To get it running on your machine you need the Squeak VM, the Squeak
sources and the image and changes files with Seaside installed. As a
start I would suggest that you take a prepared image from
<http://www.seaside.st/Download/>. Then you develop/install the
application into your image and as soon as it works you upload it to
seasidehosting.st.

> Has smalltalk and seaside a functionality like an index.html for the
> first site ?

This is the default application as defined in your Squeak image.

> The tutorial doesn't describe the procedure about the file structure and
> the access restriction.

There is no such a thing. There are only objects, no files.

> When I browser lug-bremen.seaside.hosting or
> lug-bremen.seaside.hosting/sideside I get the following error:
>
> Bad Gateway
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

That's because there is no Squeak image running, see the FAQ.

> Sorry for my lame mail but I don't know how to cope at the moment to
> comprehend the documentation at seaside ...

No problem!

I will be announcing a Seaside tutorial that I will be giving as part
of a Smalltalk lecture at the University of Bern, maybe that would be
a good start for you?

Cheers,
Lukas

--