AW: AW: [Seaside] Component confusion

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Fri Aug 4 15:07:12 UTC 2006

Well thanks everyone.  I must say; this is the friendliest mail list I
have ever seen. :)

>From what I have seen so far, it seems to me seaside should be pushed
even more.

I have always been a backend programmer and prefer writing libraries,
etc.  When I wanted to play around with GUI programming I downloaded the
C++ RAD builders and played with them, tried out VB etc, and just
decided GUI programming just wasn't for me.

Lately I have been looking around at other language offerings to see
what's out there and I noticed that Dolphin Account manager tutorial.  I
was really impressed because it had a nice GUI building tool and the
language made sense for how to talk to the components.  The C++ RAD
tools always took me the entire 30 trial period to figure out what
enough components did to make something trivial.  And of course I don't
think I need to break down my problems with VB as a language.

So the next thing I tried was squeak, and I tried to build the same
graphic application.  I'm sure the morph stuff is nice for higher end
graphic things but it didn't seem to be very good for the low end that
most people want to do when they set out to make some GUI interface.

This is where my comment about seaside comes in.  Squeak should make
seaside their official main graphical interface system.  The fact is,
several big players in the technology world believe the future is going
to be all GUI's through the web browser or some form of that.  I know
you don't have a RAD tool for making the components, per se, but it's
not as necassary for web programming IMO.  Anyone who has been in IT for
a while knows how those things work, and the great thing about the
seaside concept is: the programmer doesn't concern himself with that
stuff anyway.  If I think about it; Dolphin is really nice for making
window's GUI's.  But it still leaves me, a programmer not a designer,
making display choices.  With seaside you can really put all the
graphical desisions in the hands of a true "right brain" graphics person
instead of a "left brain" programmer.

And the other advantage is it lessens one of the complaints of
smalltalk: smalltalk likes to stay in it's own world.  But if the main
graphical interface for applications a smalltalker writes are seaside
apps then that doesn't apply anymore.

Just my thoughts. :)