[Seaside] Re: Scaling Seaside apps (was: About SToR)

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Sat Aug 5 15:39:52 UTC 2006

At 11:28 AM 8/5/2006, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>I suppose a better choice (for the future) would return with a
>result set stream as soon as the first row is retrieved. Then add
>additional protocol to return the entire result set by pulling in
>the whole stream contents.

Yes, I'd think that's the easiest way to approach it.

>I don't think a "report query" optimization is equivalent to a
>no-cache policy. The report query is no longer trying to maintain
>any kind of O-R mapping concept.

No, they're not at all equivalent, but both are possible approaches to avoid caching huge amounts of data. The report query does maintain a certain amount of O/R mapping. For example, the things to be retrieved can still be described in object terms. And you would need to use a report query for things that don't necessarily correspond to single objects, but are still related to the object model. For example, aggregate queries like the sum of the open orders for all customers located in a particular city.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
knight at acm.org
aknight at cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross