[Seaside] Usage of WAIframeTag

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:53:09 UTC 2006

>   I arrived at the code below after much trial and error (and I'm
> not sure I know what it does) -- it works but it's very different
> to your solution (and more complicated to boot). What does it actually
> do at all/differently/wrong? Was that the completely wrong way to attack
> the problem?
>
> WAIframeTag>>document: anObject mimeType: aMimeString fileName: aFileNameString
>         | key |
>         key := html callbacks registerActionCallback:
>                 [self session
>                         returnResponse: (Seaside.WADocumentHandler
>                                         document: anObject
>                                         mimeType: aMimeString
>                                         fileName: aFileNameString) response].
>         self src: (html context actionUrl withParameter: key) asString

As you observed, your code doesn't do exactly the same thing. You are
registering a new callback every time the page is rendered, therefor
the link changes and cannot be cached by the browser. Actually this is
a good technique, say if you generate your PDF dynamically and only
want to build it (within the callback) when it is actually accessed.

My solutions creates a document handler with a unique URL that won't
change as long as your document doesn't change. The document will be
downloaded by the browser only once and then put into its cache. If I
am not completely mistaken, the document handler will be part of the
application, so it is shared among all sessions.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli