[Seaside] Re: SUPeriodical - changing the frequency on the fly

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 08:23:35 UTC 2006

> The canvas API is html in Smalltalk syntax, scriptalicious is basically
> JavaScript in Smalltalk.  Of course, there's not a lot of documentation,
> this is my understanding of how things work from my own experience, I
> could well be wrong.

This is correct. Still it is possible to do what the original poster
requested. The trick is to assign the periodical updater to a
variable, not on the smalltalk side but on the JavaScript side. This
can be done like this:

html periodical
     configMsg1;
     configMsg2;
     configMsg3;
     assignLocalTo: 'per'

Now in a different rendering pass you can reference the existing
periodical updater (and not creating a new one) by doing something
like this:

html periodical
    alias: 'per';
    configMsg4;