[Seaside] Getting scriptaculous to work

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 00:02:27 UTC 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:50 AM, David Pollak wrote:

> I'm new to Squeak and Seaside.  There seem to be a number of Squeak
> code repositories (SqueakMap SqueakSource and random images that
> people put up on their own.)  Can someone help me understand the
> differences and advantages/disadvantages to each?
>
> On a semi-related note, was there a reason to choose the 3.7 rather
> than the 3.8 image for Seaside 2.6?

That image derives from the image shrinking work that Pavel Krivanek
and Steve Swerling did, which had been 3.7 based.  We use it to get a
relatively small base image to use for Dabble DB (this matters: our
servers have thousands of images lying around and they add up).

3.7 is also the last version before the switch to WideString. On
balance, I'm not convinced that change was useful in a web context:
it doesn't usually matter much whether or not Squeak is using the
right encoding internally, as long as the bytes go back and forth
unharmed between Squeak and the web browser - and converting back and
forth between UTF8 and WideString all the time is a measurable
performance hit.  That might be a North American, anglo-centric bias,
however.

Avi