[Seaside] Getting scriptaculous to work

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 06:11:38 UTC 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 10:15 PM, David Pollak wrote:

> So does each DabbleDB account have its own image?

Each active account does, yes - if an account hasn't been used for a
while we ditch its image to save disk space, saving only a compact
representation of the data, which can be brought into a new image as
needed.

>   If so, how do you fire up an image when I come to to
> foo.dabbledb.com?

There's a set of apache mod_rewrite rules and supporting Ruby scripts
that take care of this.  Roughly speaking, each image has a dedicated
internal port.  If that port is open, the request gets proxied
directly to it by mod_proxy.  Otherwise, the request falls back to a
Ruby CGI script which caches the request, fires up the image, waits
for it to start listening on the port, and then acts as a (slow)
proxy itself for that first request.

>   How do you know to save the image?

That gets a bit complicated, but one thing we do is save and quit if
the session is idle for more than a couple of minutes.  This keeps
the number of concurrent VMs very low.

>   Have you or anyone else written about deploying a large-scale web
> app farm with Squeak?

Lukas may have written somewhere about seasidehosting.st...

Avi