[Seaside] Join forces

Pavel Krivanek squeak3 at continentalbrno.cz
Tue Aug 29 20:11:16 UTC 2006

On 8/29/06, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
> > I think that we should look at current Seaside, Magritte,
> > ShoreComponents and other projects and find a way how to increase code
> > reusability.
>
> PLEASE DO!!!
> Each time I ask people about shoreComponents they told me that they
> were not
> usable as any other seaside components and I found that sad. because
> we need
> a library of standard reusable components. So what you are doing is
> important.

Yes, this was the most painful decision during desing of
ShoreComponents. But the changes had IMHO very good reasons and they
were done for better reusability of this components. The main change
is adding of obligatory parent reference that enables to control the
components hierarchy, use embedded forms etc.

The big problem is that every bigger set of components use own basic
component class - and the main motivation is to do not break the old
code. ShoreComponents adds parent reference and attributes and
overrides constructors, Magritte overrides constructors etc.

So we should find another approach that will help us to use one
extensible basic class for all this projects with stable protocol.
Maybe some handy design pattern for that.

-- Pavel