[Seaside] Join forces

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 22:21:09 UTC 2006

2006/8/29, Pavel Krivanek <squeak3 at continentalbrno.cz>:
> On 8/29/06, Philippe Marschall <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Magritte-Model-lr.224 and Magritte-Seaside-lr.192, add _zero_
> > overrides,  class extensions or constructors to Seaside.
>
> I was talking about MAComponent class>>new. That seems to be the main
> reason why methods in MAComponent aren't simple additions to
> WAComponent.

This only affects MAComponent subclasses. Magritte expects classes
only to implement #new in such a way that they return an instance or
throw an exception. This is certainly true for standard Seaside
components. So this does in no way affect interoperability of
MAComponent subclasses and Seaside components.

> I think we need reusable components and extend them with Magritte
> behaviour and do not create Magritte specific components. Of course I
> don't mean it absolutely.

I agree. An example of what I mean:
A generic time chooser component Seaside component. We can then build
a Magritte component that uses this seaside component. This way
anybody can use it and there's only very little additional effort on
the Magritte side.

In general I see very limited use to describe Seaside components with
Magritte because you don't configure them dynamically in general.
(there are some nice Pier examples where this makes sense)

Philippe