[Seaside] Adding domain to a cookie

Vincent Girard-Reydet vincent.girard-reydet at f4-group.com
Wed Dec 6 16:37:33 UTC 2006

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> I'm developping an application with Seaside for which I'm sending a
>> cookie using #redirectWithCookie: .
>> This application is deployed on 3 servers that share the same domain
>> name. I'de like the cookie to be attached to the domain, not to the
>> server. But I can't find a selector to specify the domain name.
>>
>> How can I achieve this ?
>
> I don't think you can do this out of the box, but you can certainly
> change the implementation by looking at #redirectWithCookie:
>
> I guess this cookie-question is somehow related to your
> Apache-Load-Balancing question, that I don't really get. I suggest not
> to use cookies whenever possible (a lot of people have them disabled
> anyway), but instead modify the generated URL. So if you want to tag
> requests to go to a specific image I suggest to override #updateUrl:
> in the root component and add a parameter identifying the image. Like
> this you can also do the Apache rewriting easily.
>
> Cheers,> Lukas

My problem is that my application renders HTML content integrated inside
  iframes on another site maintained by our client (yes I know, frames
suck, but that's how it was specified). The application offers various
services that are invoked by the parent site at www.mydomain.com/service

The problem are:
  - www.mydomain.com doesn't always point to the same server (because of
round-robin DNS)
  - the various services must communicate (there's a notion of logged in
user common to all services)

I use a session cookie and other cookies to remember vital information,
but I can't manage to stick a client to one server once he has started a
session. That's why I wanted this domain cookie. I want to store the
name (or IP, or whatever) of the server that initialized the session, to
redirect the user to the correct server if he tries to open a session on
another one. But to do this I need a domain-wide cookie.

If someone has an idea on how to integrate a seaside site to another
site without IFRAMES, I'm open to any suggestions.

Vincent