[Seaside] Seaside and GOODS

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri Dec 15 18:39:49 UTC 2006

Martin Beck wrote:
> Am Freitag 15 Dezember 2006 17:53 schrieb Benjamin Pollack:
>
> Thanks, I'll use that. Didn't know with which solution to go. Another issue
> is, as stated by someone here, the performance. If I insert for example 14000
> entries in a batch, the commit is very long (20mins)... Any reason for this?
>
> Greets,
> Martin

The Squeak GOODS client commit strategy is this:

1) Go through all objects in the cache and convert them to a "record"
representation (a process similar to serialization)
2) Compare the record now to the one originally loaded from GOODS
3) If the records are different send it to GOODS

So, if your cache is large it will take a long time to commit (or
rollback).  I have substantially improved performance (get the latest
version from SqueakSource) but it still runs in O(cache size) time.
BTW, the latest versions on SqueakSource are not compatible with
WriteBarrier so I haven't made them the "official" versions on SqueakMap
yet.  I could never get WriterBarrier to work well for me but a correct
solution to this problem is something like it attempts: catch all i-var
assignments and mark the corresponding object "dirty".  VisualWorks has
VM-level support for object immutability which can be used to make a
more robust "write barrier"...Squeak's implementation of OODB clients
(especially Magma, GOODS and OmniBase) could be made to be a lot faster
if the Squeak VM (and image) supported immutability.  That is, assuming
it can be done with out significantly slowing down assignment.

Just a note regarding your other question: commit failures.  As people
have suggested, if you are not going to use pessimistic locking you
probably want to simply re-do the operation that failed after loading
the modified objects.  I'd just like to add a few thoughts to
this...Using "command" objects to capture all database modifications can
make this process cleaner.  If a command fails (due to a commit
failure), flush your GOODS session and re-execute the command.  If you
adhere to the command pattern well you can quickly gain other benefits
from it like undo-able commands, composite commands etc.  The
disadvantage of this approach is that you want all mutation of objects
loaded from the database to occur in the commands.  So, if you're
displaying a user-interface where a object is being edited, you need
some strategies for either accumulating changes made to that object so
that they can be captured in a command and/or use some kind of copying
mechanism to make sure that you don't modify the object that was
actually loaded from the database.  This can get tedious.  I believe
that if you read some of the Magma documentation pages you'll get some
ideas on how to make this work...the ideas are basically the same
whether you're using GOODS or Magma (although Magma seems to have a
richer set of concurrency control features).  Another good source of
information is the Gemstone Smalltalk mailing list.

David