[Seaside] static image files

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sun Feb 26 19:15:58 UTC 2006

Thanks much for the reply, David.

some comments/questions:

David Shaffer wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> I don't quite understand why one would have to restart the server to
>> serve a static image file in a directory.
>> Isn't there a default directory from which to place files that can be
>> served? And if so, what is it? I only see Resource Base Url as a setting
>> in config, but I don't know what that is.
>>
> Yes, you certainly don't have to restart your server just to get it to
> serve files but I don't understand the rest of your question.  Seaside
> doesn't serve files, Kom (or Swazoo) does.
Right... I understand... but, I admit I need to keep that separate in my
mind.
> The Resource Base URL
> configuration stuff is Seaside-related and has nothing to do with Kom.

Can you tell me what Resource Base is? Or point me to a place to find
out more about the /seaside/config page?
I've read your link to Avi's email in your tutorial.
> If you have a Kom server up and running you can simply add the
> appropriate modules to it to configure it to serve files.  I think you
> will find this complicated at first but doable.  My Squelenium project
> has an installation script which scans a Kom stack and inserts new
> modules into it as needed (it is on SqueakMap).  It might make a good
> example for you.  The script I provide in my tutorial (which grew out of
> one I copied from a Wiki) tries to start from a blank slate to avoid
> problems associated with dealing with other people's configurations.

BTW, your tutorial is very helpful. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the
other areas when finished!
I'll check out Squelenium.

>> I suppose it is better to create a dictionary of graphics if they are
>> small so that locating the image is not a problem every time.
>> How do others do it? What is the best way to serve graphics (be it small
>> or large!)
>
> Through an apache front end, ultimately.  Serving large files from
> Squeak is a bad idea on production systems...Squeak's file I/O blocks
> the entire VM (not just the Squeak process doing the I/O).  It works
> fine for small apps and images though.  Serving files from Kom is also
> the probably best config for development since it reduces the potential
> sources of problems.

that's what I ended up doing for audio files for people to dnl/listen
to. But, I gave the complete URL for the anchor. It would be better if
there was a way to set a path and then use a relative URL, though. Is there?

thanks again for taking the time to reply!

brad