[Seaside] Rails and Seaside

Jeremy Shute shutej at crazilocks.com
Fri Jan 6 17:25:52 CET 2006

I think it's less about Seaside vs. Rails and more about Squeak vs. Ruby.
The paradigm shift from Python/Perl is greater in Squeak.  Verbose message
sends vs. dot-notation and function arity, lack of control structures,
evaluation order control via blocks instead of special rules.  Images and
changesets?  Where the hell are my files?

The other trouble for me was one of incentive.  At first glance Squeak
looked like a toy.  In fact, it comes with something called "Etoys" and
has "teacher packs" and all that educational, childish mumbo-jumbo.
Squeak is often mentioned in the same breath as "Logo" and "turtle
graphics".  Squeak reminds me of a Mazda Miata: killer sports car, huge
image problem.

What I had to do was simple:

* Eliminate the useless eyeball widget thing.
* Eliminate everything else on the screen, including the trashcan.
* Turn the background black instead of some silly shade of purple.
* Save the image over the previous one.

There, now I have a barren wasteland.  It's "Hackers and Painters": when a
painter picks up a canvas, typically it's a blank one.  For me, when I'm
learning how to use something, I need LESS distractions, not more.

Jeremy