[Seaside] Rails and Seaside

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:58:27 CET 2006

On Jan 6, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Jeremy Shute wrote:

> Yeah, this is a drawback for me, not an advantage.
>
> I have come to admit that I build great code and ugly sites.  With
> Seaside, I'm 99.9% sure my sites will remain ugly.  There is a HUGE
> advantage in being able to hand a designer an HTML file that their
> copy of
> Dreamweaver understands.

I'm attaching two screenshots hastily grabbed from my current Dabble
development image.  The HTML is identical for both; the first is how
it looks coming straight out of Seaside, the second is with some
external CSS applied.  Notice much difference?

This is one of the areas where I allow myself to be opinionated.
Developers *should* be producing ugly (and therefore simple and
semantic) HTML.  A modern web designer's job isn't to modify that,
but to provide a stylesheet that makes that identical ugly HTML look
beautiful in the browser.  If your designer doesn't know how to work
that way, I strongly suggest that you find one who can (or I can put
you in touch with some).