[Seaside] About a templating for **Static*** dummy web page

Dane Jensen careo at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 9 03:18:13 CET 2006

>> On 1/8/06, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
>>> So I would like to know if there is a simple templating package for
>>> ***purely static
>>> dead with no objects plain HTML*** web pages.
>>> Is HttpView2 such kind of beast?
>
> HttpView2 is very simple and yes, IMHO it is such a beast - but it has
> no included template mechanism currently. But hey - this is Smalltalk,
> so it is a very small problem - and below is a link to a simple class
> for templating.

One of the things I've found to be really slick in Rails is its easy
support for caching pages. The typical deployment configuration even
assumes you'll be using page caching, with the webserver looking for
pages on the filesystem, and then Rails stepping in as the 404 error
handler to generate pages not on the filesystem.

Through clever use of this it's possible to create a static site
served up entirely from the filesystem that only uses the Rails
machinery when the author changes anything.

Admittedly, I know precious little Smalltalk (working on changing
that), but I'd imagine a similar setup with HV2 would be fairly easy
to accomplish. That'd give you the "turtles all the way down" power
of Smalltalk for creating static pages and let Apache do the bulk of
the web serving.

-Dane