[Seaside] Rails and Seaside

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 10:01:44 CET 2006

>  The environment has lot of "small" annoying bugs, and if you have a "image
> crash" there is not an easy way to recover the last changes like in ENVY.

That's not really true, sure there are some bugs in the system, but
mostly they are easy to fix, you are in Smalltalk after all.

All the changes are stored in a changes-file that can be easily
reapplied to the image, in case of a crash. I can honestly say that I
never lost a line of code since I started using Squeak 3 years ago.

Moreover there is a very sophisticated source-code versioning and
management system called Monticello, that beats StOrE in terms of
usability, flexibility, speed, merging, ... really everything.

>  As a developer, this gives me this feeling: the environment looks
> "unstable" so I don't trust in it to put in a production web site.

There is a group of people (including myself), that are successfully
using Squeak for productive (web-)applications.

>  So to make Seaside more popular, I think that a lot of work has to be done
> "clean-up" Squeak (that is full of spaghetti code).

I don't see much difference with VisualWorks.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch