[Seaside] Automatic Object Storage To MySQL

Dane Jensen careo at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 25 23:16:19 CET 2006

On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:40 PM, William Harford wrote:

> I don't mean to get to far off topic but I figured some people on
> this mailing list might be interested.
>
> I have written some code that allows automatic storage of Objects
> to a MySQL database without the developer having to write any SQL
> or create a single table. It does this by examining the objects i-
> vars creating a table and saving them to a database biased on what
> it finds.

This sounds a lot like Og (www.nitrohq.com) for Ruby. You describe
the instance variables of your objects and their relations, and Og
generates the tables and does all the ORM magic behind the scenes.

> I would love to get some feedback or see if there is any interest
> in this sort of thing. The implementation in my mind is not
> important but I think the idea of automatic Object to Relational
> mapping is.

I'm very much interested in this sort of thing and would love to lend
a hand. It seems to fill the empty space for a lightweight ORM.

-Dane