[Seaside] Re: Automatic Object Storage To MySQL

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Jan 26 13:26:11 CET 2006

Yanni Chiu wrote:
> William Harford wrote:
>> On of the core ideas of the project is to limit the amount of work a
>> developer has to do. The deveolper should only have to be minimally
>> aware of how the object is being stored. Think of it this way. The
>> developer has already defined the class why should she have to define
>> the way the class is stored. The library should be able to figure out
>> how to store the object with out any input from the developer other
>> than the class definition. While the library code would benefit by
>> offloading some work onto the developer it's my position that the
>> developer would not.
>
> I recently watched the Ruby on Rails movie, and AFAICT
> it seems to read the database each time the system runs,
> to generate the needed meta-data. So the question arises:
> which should be the canonical definition - the database
> or the code?

[Hi all - new user just exploring the options of Seaside<=>Databases]

IMHO the database is canonical or you might as well not use it. The
whole point of a relational database is that it represents the structure
of your data and defines any required constraints. If you're not going
to do that, you might as well not have a RDBMS underneath your app.

To me ROE looks more promising (thanks Ari - you answered my first
question without me asking it). I want something that lets me generate
code from my database, not vice-versa. It looks like ROE can help me
with that.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd