[Seaside] Writing a book on Seaside

Mark Aufflick mark-st at aufflick.com
Sun Jul 2 00:37:54 UTC 2006

Looks great! As a smalltalk and seaside newby (and currently lite user
- unless someone hires me for a seaside project any time soon ;) I'd
be happy to do proofing etc.

My first comments on your outline are:

In the "what problems does it solve" section, I would talk about
business model mapping as well - some how tie in a discussion of how
the problems with traditional web application development paradigns
have not only technical limitations, but also make business problem
mapping weaknesses.

In the "how to get started" section, I would suggest that either you,
or someone you can collaborate with, creates a one step installer. It
would be very easy since all you really need to do is make a
pre-prepared squeak image (with seaside, plus all your sample code)
and bundle that in with a runtime. You would also want to make it easy
to run as a daemon/service as well as in gui mode. A good idea might
be for the default image to run two servers - one being a basic
seaside install (with scriptaculous etc) and the other being the
finished product of all the examples in your book.

I think the idea of going for a whole app (the blog) first and then
discussing continutions etc. afterwards is great. Once people see the
blog working it will really help them to "get" it.

Can't wait to see more!

Cheers,

/Mark