[Seaside] Ajax live updates

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:52:18 UTC 2006

> > Yes, I'm just not the guy capable of fixing Seaside, hence my call for
> > help.  I need to be able to do this, but it's too deep for me.
>
> For script.aculo.us requests it would be sometimes cool if they don't
> block. I am not sure how this could be modelled the best, though I
> would like to keep the current behavior as a default. Processing
> requests concurrently opens many new ways to shoot yourself in the
> foot!

I investigated the idea and couldn't find an simple workaround for
this problem: There is a lot of request related state in WASession,
WARender and probably some other classes. Moreover registering and
processing callbacks is not thread-save, dictionaries in Smalltalk get
screwed up if you modify them concurrently.

My guess is that making Seaside capable of doing asynchronous request
requires a lot of changes in the core framework. After all, you have
to pay for all the convenience you get ;-)

Of course a similar trick as I use in Comet could help to solve the
problem, however with the drawback that those special requests are
handled outside the context of the Seaside session, what is usually
something you don't want.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Lukas