[Seaside] Ajax live updates

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 18:34:48 UTC 2006

> OK, all good points, you're absolutely right, I hadn't considered
> concurrency and now the defaults make much more sense.  So maybe something
> like an asyncCallback:[] method on SUAjax so you can shoot yourself in the
> foot knowingly, when necessary?  In truth I'm not worried about concurrency,
> since I don't want to update or change any data, only update the UI
> concurrently.  When I think about it, I'd think updating the UI is the most
> common case, so I don't think it'd really matter if it was handled outside
> the scope of the session.  What do you think, is this reasonable?

Yes, this could work. However updating the UI also means that you
render anchors, form elements or new AJAX callbacks that register new
action handlers. Since an AJAX request uses the same rendering context
as the initial rendering this would again lead to a bunch of
concurrency issues. As far as I understand it would require many
changes to the Seaside core framework to make rendering/registering
callbacks thread save.

Avi, what about a roadmap for Seaside 3? :-)

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli