[Seaside] Accented characters

Koji Yokokawa koubo2006 at yengawa.jpn.org
Thu Jul 27 17:14:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:58:34 +0200
"Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/7/27, Koji Yokokawa <koubo2006 at yengawa.jpn.org>:
> > I struggled to use Japanese on Seaside recently.
> >
> > The problem is not only about accented characters (Unicode). The cause
> > of that is a lack of the fundamental facility, 'charset', in Seaside.
> > Charset is very important especially in Asia. Many of Asian sites uses
> > various local charset not Unicode in reality.
> >
> > Umezawa-san and I made a patch for internationalization of
> > Seaside2/Squeak. This patch fixes the problems cause of charset
> > encodings (includes Unicode) on Seaside2.6b1. It makes WAKom (NOT
> > WAKomEncoded) handle Charset, XHTML lang, encoded filenames and encoded URL.
>
> I think this should be done by WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom. WAKom is
> supposed to do no conversion at all and thus effectively deals with
> byte arrays rather than strings.
>
> Like said before, for some people it's perfectly ok to have raw utf-8
> (or whatever encoding) strings in the image. Others even want it that
> way.

I don't think so.
The encoding depends on the application (the session to be exact), not
on the server. Therefor I added the 'charset' value as a property of an
application. Then the changes are scattered over the system. (check the
changed methods by the Monticello's 'Merge' button in your Seaside image.)

> > http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/Seaside2I18N/
> > (This is a project on the SqueakSource in *Japanese*, however you can
> > load it into your image without any changes.)
>
> The problem is that this is not at all portable. I will only work on
> Squeak 3.9 with Kom. No other Squeak, not other Smalltalk, no other
> http server.

You're right.
I don't have knowledge of porting Seaside to other environment. Is there
some one teach me rules or idioms to make the code portable in Seaside?

Koji

-- !
Koji Yokokawa <koubo2006 at yengawa.jpn.org>
    http://yengawa.com/