[Seaside] About SToR

Roger Whitney whitney at cs.sdsu.edu
Fri Jul 28 19:36:43 UTC 2006

Others have given very good reasons not to do this: existing OR
mapping layers, object-databases, problems with mapping complex
objects structures to relational databases, problems with
continuations holding objects, etc. I am not arguing against these.

But while I have been doing some web development I have not used
Seaside for a long time :(. I have been using Django. It has a simple
OR layer, with all the problems others have mentioned. I have to deal
with Python, which I am not very fond of, crummy environments, poor
IDEs, no interactive debugging, etc.  All the while wishing I was
using Seaside. But I use Django because once I define my "object
models" (really just simple OR mappings - talk about a mixed up
object model) Django generates the database tables and an
administration site to enter data and manage users, which saves time.
For simple projects I am more than 1/2 done at this point. Most of
the stuff I have been doing is simple enough that the problems people
mention are not an issue.

Of course except for one project that looks like it may push the
boundary on what is easy to do in Django. So do I rewrite the app in
Seaside? Well at this point I have already invested time in the
Django, is it worth switching? These frameworks take some effort to
master. Just look at all the questions on this list about how to do X
in Seaside. The details of Django are fresh in my head, details of
using Seaside are not so fresh. It would take sometime to become
proficient again partially offsetting Seaside's advantages. So as a
result Seaside looses mind share. I think what Stephane is saying we
should try to make it easy for people to do simple things in Seaside
so we can gain some mind share.