[Seaside] About SToR

Ramon Leon ramonleon at cox.net
Sat Jul 29 16:17:17 UTC 2006

> Our experience so far is that Magma currently works very good. We have
> had no corruption and I have only discovered two bugs so far, one only
> affected performance and the other only appears during heavy debugging
> etc and I am not even sure it is Magma's fault. We are now beginning to
> work with the index and multi-index query capabilities that is recently
> being added - and it looks very nice.
>
> I have worked with GemStone quite a lot (both St and J) and I think
> Magma gives almost the same, but with a much simpler architecture. The
> fact that it is all Smalltalk with source is also a bonus.
>
> There is one scalability issue that we are mulling a bit and that is the
> fact that the sessions are not sharing persistent objects at all. But
> with some appropriate stubbing I think that can be avoided as a problem.
> Best would of course be if Magma somehow magically could share objects
> between sessions, as long as they are unmodified - but as you can
> imagine that is a hard problem.
>
> Anyway, this app will be published soon and I think it can be used as a
> nice "real world example" or perhaps even be stripped down and
> complemented with a tutorial it could form some kind of
> WebAppInAMinute-bootstrap.
>
> regards, Göran

Besides the app itself, which is great btw, I'd love to see a more
detailed write up of your experiences building it, and more generally,
ODB's and the mindset one needs to use to work with them.

What made you decide to use a session pool rather than have a magma
session per Seaside session?  Is any of the stuff you've built to marry
Magma to Seaside general enough that it could be used with Goods and
Seaside?  Could there be a small Seaside persistence framework there,
that could allow the ODB to be pluggable?