[Seaside] OSCON report

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 29 03:21:37 UTC 2006

I see a parallel with what you are saying here about squeak/seaside and
my own linux experience.

Due to my main hard disk taking a dive, one month ago, I have found
myself having to build my  system up from scratch using linux. I myself
have attempted to install linux on at least 5 previous occasions, but
every time I only got so far before I went back to the familiar old
windows or mac os x environments. (My mac g4 died 2 years ago). Despite
working in a Unix/perl shop for 5 years, I still found linux
installation and admin too painful. (I now know why - one non-pnp
network card had me stumped) This time I did have the benefit of a
working pc with which to browse the net looking for advice.

Finally I have done it... the difference this time is Knoppix! The Live-CD.

I started with knoppix which ran, without touching my broken
installation. Since then I have slowly migrated my previous working
environment accross, bit by bit. First email, then music, then squeak. I
now have booted the knoppix dvd image on my hard disk with some 10G of
unix stuff preloaded, and I am fairly impressed.

I am coming around to the live CD idea as a way of demonstrating, I
think it might be a good idea to do one based upon dreamlinux.

just an idea for the pot

Keith