[Seaside] Database Integration

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Thu Jun 1 16:31:59 UTC 2006

Before I returned to my Smalltalk roots, I took a side trip into Ruby
on Rails. I never got very good at it (I think maybe I'm too old to
learn such fancy new tricks) but I did understand it conceptually and
admired it. Seaside seems, in some ways, to be an improvement even on
the wildly popular Rails. Except for one thing.

One of the main things Rails does for you as a developer is
completely abstract out the necessity of dealing with the database.
And since most Web apps -- at least the ones I'm planning to build --
have databases behind them for one reason or another, this is kind of
important. As far as I can tell, at least, Seaside leaves the issue
unaddressed. Is that because Smalltalk apps are less likely to *use*
databases or because of capabilities built into Squeak/Smalltalk that
can be taken advantage of without having to put more code into
Seaside or is it in the planning stages or what?

Dan