[Seaside] What's the difference and why??

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Wed Mar 1 00:31:07 UTC 2006

Rick Flower wrote:
> Brian Brown wrote:
>> In your case, I wouldn't use a WATask.
> That's kinda what I thought as well.. I guess if I'm not going to use
> a WATask, I'd need to code up the renderContentOn: method to not only
> display my links near the top of the page, but also display the login
> form crud as well..  In MyWebApp, can I do something like this :
>
> renderContentOn: html
>    html divClass: 'sidebar' with: [html render: menuArea].
>    html divClass: 'contentarea' with: [html render: mainPage].
>    html divClass: 'loginarea' with: [html render: loginArea].
>
> where loginArea is an instance of a Login class which has a
> renderContentOn: method that looks something like :
>
> renderContentOn: html
>    html form: [
>        html defaultAction: [self confirmLogin].
>        html heading: 'Welcome to MyWebApp' level: 3.
>        html bold: 'Enter login name:'.
>        html textInputWithValue: '' callback: [:v | self login: v].
>        html br; br.
>        html space; space; space; bold: 'Enter password:'.
>        html passwordInputWithCallback: [:c | self password: ((MD5
> hash: c) asHexString asLowercase) ].
>        html paragraph.
>        html attributes value: 'Login!'.
>        html submitButton.
>    ].

Hmm.. I'm apparently wrong on something above.. While the page initially
renders great, when I hit the "login" button,
Seaside gives me the following error :

Components not found while processing callbacks: #(a MSLogin)

I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that Seaside no longer has the
object lying around or something along those
lines.. Do I need to play the games like you showed above with the
'MenuArea' class and have a class-side method
to store an object instance?  Now I'm starting to feel a bit like a fish
out of water.. I guess I should have knocked on wood!

-- Rick