Building VM and plugins (was: [Seaside] Re: static image files)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Mar 3 00:57:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:39:21AM +0000, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:02:51AM +0000, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Bueno.
> >
> > This actually works equally well for file I/O, since the aio functions
> > in the Unix VM work for any socket or file descriptor. AioPlugin on
> > Squeak Map will show you how it works. There is also an AsyncFile
> > class in Squeak that presumably does similar things.
>

> Great!
>
> I'm currently working on learning how to compile Squeak on my computer.
> I want OSProcess. I desperately want to be able to quit using Python for
> some of the scripting I'm doing. But I got to be able to call
> cdparanoia, lame, etc.
>
> My problem so far has been learning how to compile 32bit Squeak on my
> 64bit Ubuntu.
>
> I'll probably cheat on do a 32bit install on a machine for such times.

I don't think you'll need to cheat, you can build the Squeak VM
on a 64 bit Linux system. You'll get some compiler warnings, but
otherwise no problem. The OSProcessPlugin, XDisplayControlPlugin,
and AioPlugin will all be fine. There's a good chance that some of
the other plugins that use external libraries will have issues, but
if you just need a functional VM with OSProcess, you can just go ahead
and compile it.

Dave