[Seaside] Re: activity logs - any ideas?

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Sat Mar 4 03:19:16 UTC 2006

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>>1. Change my app to have more meaninful URLs. I know there's
>>>   ways to do that in Seaside, but I've not tried them yet.
>>>
>>>2. Instrument the app to emit a log in Apache format (to take
>>>   advantage of existing tools).
>>
>>I do "1" FWIW.
>

> We do "2" FWIW ;-)

Thank you both for your input. When I get to it,
I think I'll try "3" ;-)

After doing a brief search, I came across an article on
using Postgres to parse and interpret Apache logs. It seems
convoluted to do "1" or "2" (which seem to require roughly
equal effort), when I ultimately want the information in
some data warehouse. So "3" would be to instrument the app
to insert records into a log database. Hopefully, a record
insert, compared to a file append, doesn't consume too much
more resources.

BTW, the web access log on seasidehosting.st appears to log
the virtual host name in the first position where the visiting
IP address is expected. Is this an Apache mis-configuration?