[Seaside] Re: [ANN] Seaside Tutorial

Wilkes Joiner wilkesjoiner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 19:09:11 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Damn amazing. Add a soundtrack to describe what you're doing, fix a
> few rather glaring spelling mistakes (Appliction in a menu, 'Are your
> sure' in the destroy confirmation, etc) and Robert is your father's
> brother. Love it.

For the joke, I was going to use the soundtrack from the RoR movie,
but it would kill the opportunity to show off the really cool Squeak
stuff, like the debugger and halos.

I blame the spelling mistakes on Java.  After a full day of Java, my
brain is mush from excessively beating my head against wall.

> While we're on the subject of movies, anyone with the capability and
> some time to spare might like to make some movies of basic tutorials.
> Start from use of the mouse, menus, halos and work up from there.
> People these days seem to like moving stuff much more than all that
> effort of reading.

I did something like that a while back (almost a year).  It could use
an update with some audio.  It is much easier to communicate this
stuff with a movie rather than prose.  The goal was to get a developer
from zero to writing a class in as short amount of time as possible.
It could be extended to cover more aspects of the environment.

http://wilkesjoiner.com/UsingSqueak.html

Thanks,
Wilkes