[Seaside] Kom/Seaside/Apache, gzip?

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Thu Mar 23 04:28:10 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Most of the content that we serve up using Apache is gziped either
using Apache's mod_deflate ( we used mod_gzip with apache 1.3) or
using PHP's output buffering capabilities. My users have become
accustom to the quick download times of our web biased applications.

Gziping content makes a huge difference with our applications. Does
Kom support this? If it does not appear that it would be a huge
undertaking. Any pointers on where to begin ?

Does anyone know if Apache can act a a gzip proxy ? Gziping non-ziped
content served from seaside. Has any one done this? Any examples?

The only idea I had was to use mod_php/mod_perl to handle the
proxying and gziping from a seaside image. I am not sure what the
performance hit would be but it just feels hackish to me. In my mind
the best solution would be Gzip support in Kom.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Will