[Seaside] My sample Seaside web-app..

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Sat Mar 25 02:32:32 UTC 2006

Hi all.. Sorry for being such a pest over the last days & weeks with
various Seaside/VW
issues!  Anyway, I thought I'd share with you all, my initial cut at a
vanilla web-application
that can be used as a starting point for your own web-app or as learning
material for
anyone new to the Seaside/Smalltalk environment.  I'd like to thank
Brian Brown for his
help with some overall design & layout issues (and remote debugging) as
well as to thanks
all of you as well!  With all of your help, I was able to get this
sample site up and going
fairly quickly (with my limited time). It's definitely been a learning
experience and I'll be
fine tuning this code for my real web-application in the coming weeks &
months.
Anyway, now that my reverse proxy (using Squid) is up and going,  I'm
all set to have
people try out my sample application...

My application uses the following features of Seaside/Smalltalk :

1) Seaside - New Canvas API for rendering html objects
2) Glorp - I've got some very rudimentary Glorp code for examination of
a user table for
    logging into the web app.  I've not really delved into the depth of
features that Glorp
    offers and will go down this path real soon as part of my other web
app task.
3) external CSS & GIF files -- I like using external files for css/gifs
since I can offload
    the Seaside web server from doing that task and leave it for my
proxy to do.

Keep in mind that this code is not visually very polished in terms of
what it presents as
that was not the main focal point of the exercise.. You can hit the
links at the top of the
pages and it will just render a line or two of text showing how the
links are put together
(once you see the code anyway), etc..   The site allows logins using the
"demo" user
and demo password which talks to a PostgreSQL database behind the scenes
using
Glorp.  Anyway, I now need to upload the package to the Cincom
repository I guess
(or is there some better place to put it?).

Anyway, here's the weblink -- and please let me know if you have
problems with it:

http://seaside-demo.ca-flower.com

-- Rick