[Seaside] Does DabbleDB use a database?

Andrew Catton andrew at smallthought.com
Wed May 17 19:35:05 UTC 2006

On 17-May-06, at 11:58 AM, Welch, Ronald P (US SSA) wrote:

> I am not so sure that Dabble's profile is all that "odd" as you
> put it. I think that persistence mechanism you guys have come up
> with could be generally useful in a lot of scenarios.

A few things make it odd IMO (you can of course judge how odd for
yourself):
- the need to be able to reconfigure the schema on the fly, with
existing data
- the fact that we're dealing with thousands of relatively small
independent data stores
- the very incremental UI (causing us to, for example, display
intermediate results as a query is built up rather than one result
for a complex query built in one step)

Most DBs, relational and OO, are optimized more for a relatively
static schema, and to be vertically scalable to allow one centralized
data store to service many clients.

> I for one
> would very much like to understand the gory details of how you
> went about attacking and solving the problem of persistence
> in Dabble.

Fair enough.. we'll of course need to figure out which implementation
details we want to publicly share, given we've joined this whole
cloak-and-dagger commercial product thing :P  It probably isn't all
that difficult to imagine the general approach we would take, but of
course there were a lot of gotchas we needed to work through along
the way in order to make it practical.

Cheers, Andrew