[Seaside] instances of WAComponent

Luc Damas luc.damas at univ-savoie.fr
Fri May 19 07:44:58 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a seaside application with a root component, rendering some
components, themselves rendering components...

When I want to render a component (children), I do not create a new
instance: my parent component have an instance variable of the component
to render.

I don't use:

WAX>> renderContentOn: html
	self component: (WAY new with: anObject).
	html render: self component

but:

WAX>> renderContentOn: html
	self component isNil ifTrue: [ self component: WAY new ].
	self component with: anObject.
	html render: self component

Why do I use this solution? Because the garbage collector (VW) does not
remove old instances (unreferenced). When instances of WAComponent are
big, the image grows, grows... Each sessions contains components... When
there is a lot of users (sessions), there is much more components!
Server falls unusable! :-(

My questions are:
- How do you manage subcomponents? new each time or instance variable?
- Does anybody test seaside with a lot of users (100, 1000, 10000...)

Cheers,
Luc, Seaside lover!