[Seaside] WeakArray problems (I think)

Dmitry Dorofeev dima-sender-3c337a at yasp.com
Mon May 22 15:50:55 UTC 2006

Hi,

I expirienced similar problems with CPU eating at 100% (UNIX top command output)
Image did not respond to socket requests at all. I sow it on FreeBSD quite
frequently and on Linux time to time. I decided that it might happen becouse
image takes all memory I left it to have with -memory switch to squeak command.

To stop it I run a daily Seaside clean up (I think the same as per link 'Clear caches'
on /seaside/config page). Hope that helps me, but not sure as it is only a week with this feature.

I run squeak as follows:
squeak -nodisplay -nosound -notimer -memory 512m esol.image

without memory limit it is not stable at all (seems a problem above 1Gb)

3.7-7 #1 Sat Mar 19 13:12:20 PST 2005 gcc 3.3.5
Squeak3.7 of '4 September 2004' [latest update: #5989]

-Dmitry.

Richard Huxton wrote:
> OK - I've searched the archives and I think this is the "weakarray
> finalization" issue. Symptoms are that I start up the image and the UI
> locks with CPU stuck at 100%.
>
> I've tried:
> 1. Leaving it run for a few hours.
> 2. Starting the image with a script with
>    WeakArray runningFinalizationProcess terminate.
>
> Neither seems to get me past this point. I'd like to get to the stage of
> being able to browse+file out some classes if nothing else - there is a
> couple of days code there that I'd rather not lose.
>
> The top few lines in the process-listing (I had it open while
> investigating this before it reached this stage) are:
>
> (80) 3400: the timer interrupt watcher
> (60) 3351: the event tickler
> (60)  287: the user interrupt watcher
> (60) 1102: the low space watcher
> (50) 2355: the WeakArray finalization process
> (40) 4054: the UI process
> then a bunch of Semaphore>>critical and seaside connections all at (30).
>
> I'm not sure how accurate this is as I can't get the process browser to
> update before the UI locks.
>
> Anyone got any smart ideas?
>
> --
>   Richard Huxton