[Seaside] Pier backup

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 25 17:09:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:33:05AM -0700, Rick Flower wrote:
> somehow..  Anyway,
> I guess you could setup things somehow (triggered off a timer?) to write
> out your image
> (I'm assuming there's a way to programmatically force an image save, but
> I've got no
> idea there) on a regular basis and to specify the image name to save
> under..

If your server is running unix (or Linux), this should do what you want:

  "UnixProcess saveImageInBackgroundNicely"

The image will be saved with a time stamped file name. The save is done
in a lower priority background OS process that should have minimal
impact on your server image. You could for example set it up like
this:

  [[(Delay forSeconds: 4 * 60 * 60) wait. "wait 4 hours"
  UnixProcess saveImageInBackgroundNicely] repeat] fork

This requires the OSProcess package from SqueakMap.

I suspect that you could fill up a disk drive pretty quickly like this,
so you'll need to come up with some way to purge out the old image
files. Maybe someone who is doing this already can suggest a good
approach.

Dave