[Seaside] [RFT] New web project

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 04:53:03 UTC 2006

On 11/9/06, Jason Johnson <jbjohns at libsource.com> wrote:
> Jason Rogers wrote:
> > Regarding the relational database approach: if you look at Rails you
> > will notice that the RDBMS is almost completely obscured out of the
> > application, leaving you to deal with objects only.  The fact that an
> > RDBMS is on the backend probably has more to do with quick and easy
> > adoption (most folks are familiar with the paradigm) than to the
> > necessity of RDBMS over ODBMS.
> >

> Well ODBMS is mostly (if not completely) hierarchical, no?  I mean like
> LDAP.  If that is the case then those two strategies are very
> different.  There are things that are simple to model in a hierarchical
> database that are hard, if even possible, in a relational database.  And
> vice versa.

I didn't mean to imply that the strategies weren't different.  I was
speaking to the decision making process for using an RDBMS.  Rails
could have be done with an ODBMS, but then adoption would have
severely suffered because:

    [1] most folks aren't used to it
    [2] it's not as easy to port an existing application
    [3] most folks don't have access to an ODBMS as readily as an
RDBMS (MySQL, SqlLite, PostGres, etc.)
    [4] other reasons.

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18